PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Rivet Joint
Thread: RAF Rivet Joint
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2014, 17:41
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
Read what Engines said!

Throughout my career I came across very few aircrew who were “anti”. But I well remember the last one who was. He wanted me to cancel a trial of kit his superiors had declared Safety Critical, pack my bags and go back to AbbeyWood. He’s dead, killed by a non-engineer’s decision that functional safety could be ignored and a false declaration made that the work had been satisfactorily carried out. This kit was not fitted or being used correctly in the aircraft he was flying on his last flight. The non-engineers actions were withheld from the BoI and Coroner, and the MoD/MAA continue to support him.

It only takes one like that to get to Star rank and the system is in trouble. He did, and it is....... MoD engineers, Service and Civilian, knew how to get it right first time, and were within a whisker of doing so when this fraud was perpetrated upon us (and aircrew). It is almost always cheaper and quicker to simply implement the regs. Every accident or issue we discuss here has that same common denominator. Avoidable if the regs had been implemented. Yet, still, MoD/MAA rail against anyone who says this. Instead, they re-write the regs, somehow implying they are to blame. And cause so much confusion in the process their own Flight Safety centre doesn't know if they're full bored or countersunk. (Neither, you're being screwed ).