PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HK AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL BLOG
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2014, 12:27
psychohk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on vectoring VS remaining on own navigation - answers embedded

First of all what a great blog you got now, with a lot of great info for us pilots. Thanks for that.

I have a few questions for you.

1.Quits(sic) often we seem to be radar vectored on both arrival and departure along the STAR or SID +\- less than 1 mile. Are your aircraft separation less when radar vectored compare to on SID/ STAR or what is the reason. Separation in both cases is a standard 3nms. Wouldn't it be easier to use speed and stay on the SID/STAR? It would appear so but we’re learning that it is strongly influenced by individual interpretation. There is a proverb in ATC that states a controller’s interventions per sector, is proportional to that controller’s trust in the system and the consequences of any breakdown (system, here, refers to equipment, the airspace structures and procedures, and ability of aircrew to accurately comply). As a formula: Interventions = Consequences / Trust, you can deduce that as a sector becomes more congested, the risk of Consequences from non-compliance will increase and, assuming Trust remains constant, then the number of ATC Interventions will increase. If Trust decreases, then Interventions soars.

2. On approach we tend to get " speed (ect 210) or greater. Would you normally want us to keep high speed or slowdown towards this speed? Rather than giving you a specific (fast) speed, the controller is affording you three options: 1) keep your present speed, 2) come back to the minimum stated or 3) anything in between. By giving this clearance, the controller doesn’t foresee any consequences from either action. Please note: we are using this clearance because so many operators now, don’t like flying fast inside APP/FAD airspace. The standard ATC speeds are: 280kts in descent, 250kts at 10000’, 210kts on downwind, 180kts on base and 160kts to final, thus when we use “***kts or greater” we’re referring to those standard speeds and want you to go as fast as your company allows.

3. Now the season with weather is upon us, and we need weather deviation. Some time we just need less than 1 mile to get around a TCU. Can we " just " get around it without talking to you and blocking up a already busy frequency, in this case what would be acceptable from your point of view. You must ask, even for a small deviation. Horizontal separation is predicated on you staying on track. Also for SID and STAR would you prefer a specific heading or etc deviate up to 5 nm right/ left of trek. Personally I prefer the last which give me more freedom and not blocking the frequency with numerous requested heading requests. Either is acceptable.

4. When in holding we always seems to get 2/3 the holding and the radar vectored to the waypoint. How accurate are your system with arrival times, because we could adjust the speed in the holding within the ICAO limits. To meet our airport Arrival Acceptance Rate (AAR) the Terminal controllers have to accurately (+- 1min deviation) meet the AMAN OCTs. Again, the formula, Interventions = Consequences / Trust applies. HKATCA sees benefit for everyone if holding, OCTs and FMS are the standardised methods of managing arrival delay and is trying hard to convince controllers at a professional level. However, we do see it as a Trust issue.

This was just a few questions from me which I hope you could explain.
Again thanks for this opportunity for us to communicate with you guys.