PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jobs in Africa (2011 onwards) part 3.
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2014, 11:25
James331

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sadly, most operators would rather have a low timer who paid for a rating. That way they save a few dollars on the rating and they know he'll work for peanuts. This does nothing to improve the level of experience in the company and there's a general loss of experienced crews as they move on to more professional outfits.

The authorities have put pressure on operators to hire newly qualified locals by applying hour minimums for a validation, which has more or less knocked the cheap and easy route for low time foreigners on the head. Hopefully the knock on effect is to have folks with a bit more experience doing the job which should make it safer. Of course, those who will fly for nothing or pay to fly are still out there and not helping things.

Very few small operators give a about anything more than the bottom line.
True, true and true.

Jolly good.

Can I take it you don't take electronic correspondence seriously? Yet if I high tailed it in on a donkey and handed you my CV written out on a scroll you would acknowledge me.

Makes me wonder who you actually do acknowledge. Oh you have acknowledge me, which leaves me eternally grateful.
Look if YOU want to work in Africa you need to first learn it isn't jolly good England (or the US, Canada, EU, etc)

Some things are better over here, some things are worse over here and, well, somethings are just different.

You won't find many, if any, operators posting jobs online, they like their paper, they like people who will grab a drink with them first and they don't really care about hours nearly as much as back home.

Take it for what it is and adapt, or don't waist your money comming over here.

An operators greatest asset apart from their aircraft are their pilots and engineers
You got that backwards a operators greatest assets in order 1 Pilots, 2 A&Ps, 3 Aircraft. Doesn't matter how good your aircraft or mx are if you don't have a good man in the cockpit.