PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Apocryphal Tales
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2014, 09:42
Smeagol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I might add an anecdote relating to the sudden demise of bovine creatures from unexpected military sources.

Not sure of the exact location but this happened in WWII and was told to me my my old mum who was a CPO Wren at various naval establishments between 1940 and 1946.
Mother was a Bomb Range Marker, plotting the fall of 25lb practice bombs from Swordfish but in addition to her normal duties, one day she was assisting armourers in butt testing of a Sea Hurricane. She was sitting in the 'driving seat' and pressed the firing button when told, the tail of the aircraft was raised but insufficiently supported and the recoil from the 4 x 20mm cannons caused the tail to become dislodged and drop. A significant number of cannon shells disappeared into the middle distance before mother could remove her thumb from the button resulting in the sudden demise of a cow quite a long way away.

An unusual casualty of war which resulted in the mess having an unexpected supply of beef for a few days!

Incidentally mother is still alive and at 97 must be one of the oldest Wrens around.

She flew in numerous aircraft types from Swordfish, Albacores and Barracudas various transport types and even flew in a Grumman Martlet, the RN equivalent of the US Wildcat fighter, which was a single seater! Apparently on the pilots lap.

Mum had a 'good' war ( if any such thing is possible) I believe !