PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Armed Pilots (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2003, 05:23
Tripower455

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
TripowHow did TSA come to develop this particular method for introducing and securing a firearm on the FD? I have no flying experiance, but I have spent a lifetime around firearms which leads me to question everything from the choice of weapon to the means of storing it. Who did TSA look to for guidance? Anyone know?
I haven't a clue who they consulted on this, but I can assure you that actual airline pilots had no input in the matter. This has all of the earmarks of a typical, bureaucratic comittee decision. They have taken a fairly simple program, and tried to reinvent the wheel.

Congress wanted it, but the TSA didn't, so it appears that they have made the program as onerous and difficult as they can to discourage participation. I believe that the FFDO will be the ONLY federal LEOs that are not required (heck, not even allowed) to carry their weapons on their person at all times while travelling. I can't help but feel that the average pilot would be a lot less of a liability (more familiar in the environment makes for better SA) in the cabin than the average EEOC chicken inspector is riding armed

I have heard that the backround checks are more severe than those of the air marshalls, but don't know that for a fact.

The fact that the TSA has given itself the power to revoke the airman certificates of "security threats" without ANY recourse on the part of the pilot, makes me think twice about participating. In the interest of "security", they are not even required to tell you why you are considered a threat!