PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future of the black box
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2014, 01:22
a1rm4n

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flight International had an article on FDR technology and future outlook after AF447.

Star in-flight safety monitoring system gains traction - 1/14/2011 - Flight Global

In there it mentions STAR-ISMS (STARISMS - Star Navigation - Aviation Innovation - Canada) which is also developed by a Canadian company (what is it with Canadians and telemetry?) and is a similar solution to the one that Flyht proposes (but obviously not as good with marketing).

If I'm not mistaken, the same issue also had a story that mentioned detachable floating FDRs were also being considered. If not, a quick Google search will bring up plenty of info on this.

Overall though, bear in mind the pragmatic view in the following blog that needs to be addressed once the media dust has settled. To be clear, I'm all for innovation but I also know that in the end the business case has to add up.

https://medium.com/evidence-base/47c7e89600ba

Why haven’t airlines rushed to install the system on the thousands of planes in their fleets? The sad irony is that incidents like the loss of Flight MH370 are so rare nowadays that it’s hard to justify even moderate additional costs that might help solve such mysteries. After the Air France disaster, the International Civil Aviation Organization did consider the issue, but the industry has concluded that the likely savings — in terms of search, rescue and recovery costs — are too small.

David Learmount, an aviation safety expert with the trade publication Flightglobal, puts it bluntly: “The cost-benefit analysis doesn’t work out because aviation doesn’t kill enough people any longer to make it worth installing.”

Would be interested in what comes out of your work, we are so saturated nowadays from reality and shock TV (as is usually the case with "documentaries" about aircraft) that quality, factual, informative and educational shows seem to have sadly been relegated to the realm of history.