PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysian Airlines MH370 contact lost
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2014, 16:47
drwatson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Love the unanswered questions..I'm no pilot but earn a living troubleshooting and solving problems as part of a global IT sofware company in a 24x7x365 follow the sun support model with multi tiered escalation matrices. Anyways enough about me...question time..and before that a quote of why questions are important.

If I had an hour to solve a problem I'd spend 55 minutes thinking about the problem and 5 minutes thinking about solutions.
Albert Einstein

So questions and problems/issues..starting with my fav right now

"We're not searching for a needle in a haystack, we're still trying to define where the haystack is. That's just to put it in context,” Australian Defence Force vice chief Mark Binskin told the media at Pearce RAAF .The BB was not designed for this scenario . Ok where is the crash site ? Wait a minute..is the direction or route of the plane is still in doubt right?

Why? The transponder was turned off either mechanical failure or by hijackers and no VHF maydays were sent out..

This immediately comes down to a scenario close to tracking military or enemy a/c via .... If it were still in the air..primary radar and satelite and even.visual contact by interceptor jets

Have we faced this scenario before. I would say yes as we are post 911. I must add at this juncture if MH370 was on route to the US we may not be in this situation right?

However the question which has got me puzzled ever since the mh370 decided to dissappear is although we are not in the USA is why murphys law has not happened sooner?
So can a/c dissappear if they are not in range of primary radad? Arnt modern air defences manned 24x7x365 all REALLY asleep? Before my current job as tech support i use to work for a IT monitoring sofware and it is more or less fully automated..we get pinged via email /sms/phone and if we dont respond in 30 mins / 2 hours more ppl get pinged till someone responds. A case of multiple failures by just the malaysians..how about Thailand or Vietnam or Indonesia or Singapore.
Have they all REALLY failed? What were the equivilant of homeland security intelligence doing when the jetliner dissappeared and possibly headed to crash into a city?

Heres what I think happened..as soon as word got out to millitary intel in the all airforces they were put on high alert and all primary radar was switched on at full power and everyone in the region with surveillance capabilities were on the lookout to confirm if the plane was going to used similar to 911. It went missing 1 -2 hours into flight and the press got wound of it very soon after that what not of military intel in this post 911 scenario. Someone please answer that?
What was military intel doing and did they not alert their airforce to monitor radar ? We need to find the haystack. If they did and MH370 did in fact evade all that radar what route did not have any radar coverage at all during those hours.
Are immarsat sateline pings the only lead?If so we are on the right path but we really need bigger black boxes in future which transmit to larger distances or work like GPS mobile apps and for commercial aircraft to have transponder reduncies or advances in primary radar quickly. This cannot be a precedence for things to come

Last edited by drwatson; 2nd Apr 2014 at 16:58.