PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysian Airlines MH370 contact lost
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2014, 08:13
glenbrook

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Propduffer

Now, why did the Malaysian government let 8 nations search the South China Sea looking for an airliner they knew wasn't there for the next week??

Can anybody answer that question?
No-one had seen an incident like this before and the Malaysians were clearly not prepared for it. I think seeing the haphazard way that information has come out, it is fair to say that the Malaysians did not share information with the other nations promptly or accurately enough. In fact I would guess that even within Malaysia the different agencies did not coordinate well. They wasted their own resources as well as others. They didn't share the satellite data for several days after it had been given to them and even then they only shared the barest conclusions, not the analysis. One of the particular complaints of the Chinese families was that they were only shown two powerpoint slides as proof that their loved ones were dead.

Personally I think the Malaysians should now come clean with the entire data set and analysis. Maybe not to the massive sewing-circle of amateur sleuths on PPRUNE, but at least to other competent authorities in China, US, Australia and UK. That way the analysis can be checked by independent experts. I don't believe this will change any of the conclusions, but at least it would negate the charge that they are hiding things.

The handling of the SAR may be embarrassing for some parties, but ultimately it is hard to see we would be any closer to finding the aircraft, even if they had worked better.