PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Conversion from PA28 to Cessna 152
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2014, 02:19
slam525i

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You don't need a ladder to get on the strut of a 172. There's a step on the side of the nose and a step on the strut. You only need one for the 177 and bigger Cessnas.

Read what I wrote earlier about the rudder/nose-wheel connection.

Make sure the flap-switch on the 172 isn't sticky. In some cases, you can let go of the switch but the flaps keep going down. Not a good thing if you're low, slow, and have no throttle.

While on the topic of flaps, older models with 40 degree barn-door flaps will let you stop-and-drop the airplane. Fantastic stuff. Just don't try to climb like that.

Still on the topic of flaps, the placards on the 172 say to avoid slips with the flaps down. It's not a huge deal. It causes a weird airflow over the elevators that makes them pulse against you, but you maintain elevator control despite the weirdness. If you need to slip it with flaps, do it. But try to plan around it.

What Mach Jump said about the flare is right. LOTS of back pressure. And on the go-around, LOTS of forward pressure. I like to trim for about 75. Trimming for a lower speed = more forward pressure on the go-around.