PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you become a Professional Pilot again?
Old 1st Apr 2014, 20:43
Bravo73

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by bleuciel
I never thought you were like that. Really disappointing...
Originally Posted by bleuciel
Would you have stayed in the N.Sea if the salary was the same as the Metropolitan Police?? I thought so...
Erm, I don't think that I'm the person that you think that I am.

Anyway, I'm not getting personal at all. You've said that you don't like flying in the NS. You've said that you want to fly in "nice weather, day only, no unstables or bow decks at night". I've given you a viable alternative. Reading between the lines, it doesn't really sound like you like flying at all.

Judging by your post history, flying offshore on the NS seems to be the only flying job that you've had. If that is the case, then you won't appreciate what a great deal that you've got. You'll probably won't realise what it means to grub along in a rickety old single (piston or turbine), with the weather closing in and the hills coming up around you. You probably don't realise what it means to work for minimum wage, flying around and around in circles all day. You probably don't realise what it feels like to have to drop someone off in the middle of nowhere and then have to wait around all day and then work out a way of getting them home again safely, without breaking too many rules.

Offshore flying has given me more time and resources to lead the life that I actually want to lead. Compared to before, my 'working life' now takes up a relatively small proportion of my 'total life'. No other job, flying or otherwise, has ever given me that.

And, no, I haven't forgotten what it's like to fly a Robinson, a Bell or a Hughes. It's not more difficult than flying a modern EFIS twin; it's just different. And if you must know, I have seen more pilots get chopped from modern MEH type ratings than I have ever seen experienced MEH pilots struggling on a single piston conversion.

And finally, no, I don't think that I know which company you work for (unlike helimutt who alludes to). I'm just pretty sure that you don't work for the same company that I do.