PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maun, Botswana. The essential guide.
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2014, 08:11
rmball

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The C206 is a 'type rating' with the CAAB in Botswana. I got my FAA cert validated by the CAAB with a C206 type rating. I had about 20 hours in the aircraft in the US, but they wanted to see a instructor's sign off/aircraft checkout for me flying that type of aircraft, which I had. I don't have a sign off for a C207, and the CAAB won't let me do a Certificate of Training to get my C207 type rating. Once I have 500 hours flying in country, then I can apply for an actual CAAB CPL, and then add on the new type, unless that new provision comes through for similar type aircraft. Main point: get your 'ratings' aka AIRCRAFT CHECKOUT with a CFI SIGNOFF before you come to Botswana.

Also, new news: you cannot be a pilot and a mechanic at the same time. Might not apply to many people out there, but that was a new decision by the powers that be a few weeks ago (might not stay this way). Since you now might not be able to use an engineer cert to your advantage in getting a job, make sure you have your ducks in a row with your pilot certificate/rating/etc...