PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2014, 21:08
Danny42C

Chugalug,

What a feast to keep me happy for days ! Thanks ! Have had a good look at #13 tonight - they certainly have re-used some of the footage which "Vlad" collated and you put up on this thread a while ago - except that I don't remember the macaque hopping about all over the VV. As you say, this is all IAF footage and (in my guess) non-operational at the OTU in Peshawar, but none the worse for that. The quality of the film is much better than the "original"

In the early part the land story is told quite correctly, but nearly all the ground-attack shots are Hurricanes (and the odd P-47 Thunderbolt). I don't think there is any film of a VV operational attack; in any case by the time your bombs exploded you would be half a mile away among the treetops and out of shot.

Danny

See why the Aussie bush hat was so popular for all ranks !

EDIT: Noted:

(around 1.13). Men are doing all the heavy work ! Most unusual in those parts !

(2.43) Obviously non-op (no kit, no webbing, no pistols). Gunner is reaching out for first handhold to climb up side to his cockpit, where back (curved) section of canopy still in place - we chucked them all out, as they were a nuisance and you could manage perfectly well without them.

(8.43) What is it ? (Looks like a TM with back cockpit faired over). D.

Last edited by Danny42C; 31st Mar 2014 at 23:17. Reason: Add Text