PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Have you given up?
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2014, 20:42
AdamFrisch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I was 19 and took my PPL I wanted to become an airline pilot badly. I was obsessed with two things - airplanes and film. I've never been very rational or logical in my decisions, but I thank higher powers that I had a moment of clarity at such a young age: I decided film, although perhaps even harder to get into, would offer more variety and be less routine and offer more opportunities. It took 10 years of working for free, eating noodle soups and carrying camera cases in the rain to be able to survive in the film business, but now it's a great career and great job that has given me the opportunity to own an aircraft and be able to fly recreationally. I am very grateful for this.

The point I suppose I'm making is - if there's anything else in this world you enjoy and can become good at, then do that. A businessman once told me "do what you love, because when you do what you love you automatically become good at it and people will eventually pay good money for that". Good advice. As long as it's not aviation - then that rule doesn't apply.

Find something you can love and be good at and then buy an airplane and fly for fun. Maybe you can even incorporate it in to your business. I fly to many of my jobs as often as I can. Doesn't make sense financially, but it's fun and I can deduct the cost and it adds utility.