PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Channel 4 Programme on Tirpitz Sinking
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2014, 19:55
PapaDolmio

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I got the impression that the programme was a bit rushed and left out a lot of important information. I've had an interest in Turpitz since visiting the Turpitz museum at Tromso while on Det a few years ago. The biggest omission in my view was that when Turpitz was finally sunk it was already considered to be unseaworthy by the German Navy and was only moved to Tromso to be used as a fixed coastal defence battery.
The damage caused by the previous raid was such that after the bow was patched up at Alta the ship was only able to move at 10knots to its new berth at Tromso. Once at Tromso there was no intention for the ship to move. This was completely ignored in the programme but is in Patrick Bishops book.
While the technical details of the raid were fascinating, and the bravery of the crews on both sides never in doubt, by the time of the sinking Turpitz was of very little strategic relevance.
Remember, by that stage of the war the Red Army was already in Poland and the western allies were closing up to the Rhine. Whatever the Turpitz did would not affect the outcome.
Of course hindsight is a luxury we can afford!