PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Have you given up?
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2014, 19:48
HamishMcBush

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From my Primary school days, I wanted to be an airline pilot. I read articles in the newspapers etc, told my parents etc, wrote to BOAC, found out that I'd almost certainly need to go to Hamble etc.
When it came to exams at secondary school and time to think of what course to take at Uni, the Court Line collapsed and suddenly there was a surplus of pilots and not enough planes for them to fly. I was advised not to become a pilot since I could end up qualifying and then not get a job as there wouldn't be sufficient planes around.

I therefore ventured into manufacturing engineeering in the UK, blissfully unaware of the bad advice I had been given. I'm in my 50's now and will never fulfil my dream. I've not even had a happy career due to the decline in British manufacturing, especially in the part of the UK where I live.

Unless you are extremely talented and have the right connections to become qualified as a pilot, and have a reasonably good probability of getting a permanent pilot's job at the end of it, I'd say pick something else.
Ideally something you are good at
or something you enjoy
or something that pays very well.

Whatever you do in the daytime affects you wellbeing in your private life at home in the evenings and week-ends.
Whatever you decide to do, I hope you have a better time of life than I've had.
Wishing you the best of luck