PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Commuting and Base Changes
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2014, 14:07
pilotho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a sign of better times when someone out of flight school is getting a choice as to where to go.

I feel Ryanair is one of the best jobs around for a cadet provided you have budgeted correctly for type rating, period of not being paid, uniform etc. No point in listing all of it because you know what you signed up for.

All the advice offered are definitely valid and I would agree with them as well. You will rack up the hours very quickly at Ryanair and more importantly, they are jet time. Why jet time is any better than turboprop time isn't obvious to me because planes fly mostly the same in my opinion, and we fly pretty much as fast as a turboprop; on descent anyway.

The other thing you might want to think about is the job security for the foreseeable future. At the end of the day, regional turboprop companies not only have other airlines competing with them but also the trains.

In terms of base changes, I have been extremely lucky and have always been based in the UK. The furthest "out of base" I've had to do was STN so it does happen to some.