PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF DEC's to EK?
Thread: QF DEC's to EK?
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2014, 10:35
Alconguin Crusader

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know the specifics of Delta airlines. I do know that having worked at both a major airline and Emirates that there really is no comparison between the two and pilots that do try to compare probably have never worked at a major.
One can cite figures and salaries but you can not put a figure on the treatment and other contractual items that are buried in the contracts.
I know the majors still have International pay, Jr Manning, Overtime pay, Call out pay, Sick pay, vacation pay, Equipment Sub pay and on and on. Emirates has none of the above.
Some of the figures cited in previous posts I think are low. I know my friends say that the Defined Benefit Plan (they have no pension, they voted to give it up) are somewhere around 16% and keep in mind their salaries are much higher than ours. Also not mentioned is the amount of days major pilots work. You would be hard pressed to find a major pilot who works much more than double digit days.
So combine that as an Emirates pilot I work 25% to 30% more than a major pilot that alone covers the tax implications in itself. Also the days worked and the impossible topic of Treatment and there really is no comparison.
Regardless of what you think of the US or Europe I am sure the vast majority of Emirates pilots would much rather be living in those continents than in Dubai.
When I made my mistake in coming to Emirates one of the things not factored (Factoring keeps rearing its ugly head) is how much it costs to set up here and close down here. Yes I could go other places but isn't it more cost beneficial to try and raise EK standards and pay?
But through all the arguments back and forth I can't help but to focus on who Emirates is hiring. If Emirates was such a great airline why aren't we getting the International Widebody pilots? Surely some FOs would consider EK if it was cost beneficial. The Marketplace is the final arbitrator.