PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aviation Investigation Report Out Boeing 737-210C Controlled flight into terrain
Old 31st Mar 2014, 09:33
pax britanica

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts
Cultural issues can vary from country to country even within Europe. Re the comment about Lufthansa pilots using the captains first name to get his (her) attention is perfectly sensible since even now Germans seldom use first names in business contexts and so it does make some sense.

Point brought home to me when discussing a meeting I had in Germany with a former colleague who now worked at that company and had arranged the meeting. I could not remember the name of one of the German attendees and so asked my friend on the basis that 'Gert something had told me.....' , my friends reply was that he could not help, as he put it 'I would not know the first name , the man would just be Herr X to me.'

However that also illustrates the point that in most societies there is a degree of deference to senior figures, its brave junior in almost any part of the world who publicly corrects his boss in a meeting even if a serious mistake has been made. On a flight deck the consequences are much more serious but also the reluctance factor perhaps reinforced by the fact that the captain is 'THE captain, often wearing insignia to denote that and the clear traditional left seat right seat hierarchy and of course there is often very little time between noticing something is wrong and a possible disaster.

At least in the business context sometimes the junior in rank is more experienced or more expert than the higher ranking manager and they certainly are not wearing uniforms to denote rank and status. So I think this makes it harder on the flight deck , if I can make that observation as passenger, to correct/criticise the boss is always awkward at the very least and in some places virtually unthinkable.

One point that does come across in this debate is the idea of a 'disagree call' when the aircraft reaches minimums or decision height , does seem to take rank out of thinks quite bit.
All in all though this is battling human conditioned attitude and just underlines that a pilot is a different job from most others because the time between mistake and disaster can be very very short