PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why does Maverick Helicopters not hire female pilots?
Old 30th Mar 2014, 22:16
Dennis Kenyon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Female drivers

For SS and interested readers ... Let me tell you a story.

Yes, the last three winners of the 'Dennis Kenyon Junior Scholarship' HAVE all been female. Applications are initially sifted by me and although I sit as Scholarship Chairman (Person!) I don't vote. Applicants whose Dad is an airline pilot, a well placed businessman or similar ... don't get past the first stage since the scholarship is intended only for those who haven't a financial cat in hells chance of becoming a rotary flyer.

The applications that make it through to the second stage are individually considered by a scholarship committee and around a dozen or so are selected for interview. Following interview up to four finalists are selected for an aptitude flight test with an independent TRE/CP. (The last being the highly experienced Ian MacGregor ...CP of Fast Helicopters.

Our previous two scholarships had been won by females, and following the committee interviews stage, two applicants were selected for final flight test selection ... being one male and one female. On test day, I visited Ian in his office and said something like "Look Ian, we've had two successive lady winners, we can't really have a third."

Ian's secretary was present and pulled me aside. "Dennis, if you really mean that, there would have been no point in any females making an application."

I realised what a prat I'd been and accepted the point instantly. "OK Ian, my apologies," I said. "Just select the applicant you consider best." Ian made his decision and our scholarship was won yet again by another lady.

Out of interest, our first winner was Zoe Spain, who many of you will have spoken to since she is an Air Traffic Controller at Fairoaks Airport. The second lady, Hannah Nobbs joined Agusta Westland and now works in the design department. Our third lady winner was Georgie Dixon who works at Sywell Airfield with Sloane Helicopters.

Hope these notes solve the ideas of partisanship. I plead not guilty.

We are hoping to run the scholarship with a major media sponsor for 2015. If successful, details will be announced in the aviation press.

Regard to all Pruners. Dennis Kenyon.