PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Commuting and Base Changes
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2014, 18:28
macdo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sadly RYR is probably the better option, unless you have massively strong reasons to stay in the UK which we don't know. As previously mentioned, TP time is about as useful as microlight time. There are many threads on here posted by TP pilots desperate to get out and can't. Its sad, because you pick up so much useful knowledge hooning about the highlands in TP, but from a career perspective its a waste of time and money.
I don't want to sound patronising, but these days moving with the job is a part of everyday life, and you just have to hope that someday you will get a job with a top employer in a base where you can put down some roots. I have had that for the last 15 years, then out of the blue I have been rebased to the other end of the country. Luckily, my kids are now grown up, but its going to be hard on Mrs. Macdo who faces the choice of relocating with me and losing her network of friends and her job, or me commuting and being away for 20 days a month. There are no guarantees as of stability as a pilot now.
Its important that your partner understands this from the outset as it is not a good life for the one left at home whilst you commute or travel the world, and they are left to keep the home fires burning by themselves, if they are not comfortable with this kind of lifestyle.
Good luck and take the jet job.