PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OZ CPL to JAA ATPL.
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2014, 18:15
MartinCh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
degree is of any practical use, more or less only in USA for legacy airlines as 'weeding out' part of recruitment from commuter/charter/regional flying jocks.

What Hobo meant is that it's quite a slaughter in Europe for airline wannabes straight from school, with little GA in Europe in general (majority fits into: skydiving drops, instructing and some local scenics maybe being majority, except some 'specialty' flying like firefighting on Dromaders in Spain and the like, for tailwheel pilots and some casual glider towing, mostly unpaid)

Minimum criteria are CPL/MEIR, MCC, medical. With no jet/TP time etc, you'd not stand out from the hordes of jobles airline wannabes.

For pax transport on small stuff, you're looking at the regs where it must be twin (piston) and IFR stuff and the regs don't let newbie do it, let alone hiring minima. So, while you can 'jump' all the GA Stationair or Airvan etc flying jobs in Aus or Canada, it's not as easy.

Are you ready to cough up for overpriced 737 TR with Ryanair on no guarantee of hours contract, if they so nicely offer you job on conditions? That's after all the Euro ratings/licenses expenses. Not current on easyjet hiring right now, but it's been through few bigger schools mostly, too.

I don't have euro comm yet (had other stuff in piplline) and I don't aim for European airlines anyway, but the 100hrs PIC and 200TT is for licence issue. So one can do the MEIR (you have enough PIC hours for that), CPL module or combined, improving continuity if with same provider, then knock off 10-20hrs rental/flying buddies chipping in, around, THEN applying for licence with all the paperwork. CPL flight test does not equal being eligible for licence to be issued, per se. I know it sounds funny, but thee could be exceptions. Also, some limited PIC hours from other categories can count towards the 200hrs total if needed. Normally not applicable unless you don't do much SEP flying with instructor onboard for private.

With your Aus CPL, I'd vaguely recommend doing VFR flyign for CPL first. Part of the hood time for NVFR should count towards the 10hrs instrument for CPL, or rather, waived as not needed to repeat in CPL course.

Did I mention that with all the theory passes, you'd be ready to do 'trainign as required' if meeting the rest of requirements? Not licence ISSUE, just for CPL course/flight test. Meaning if you're ready, you're ready. The VFR flyin will also help you get used to any differences.

Some Brits/Irish do their CPL/MEIR flying portion in Poland or Spain, few in Czech Rep. Now with EASA regulations, some things are easier, but country holding your medical records is the one issuing/renewing/adding ratings to licenses. Few caveats to mind as well.

As mentioned, some ASL locations may have approval to provide UK CAA CPL/ATPL exams. If you google UK CAAi (International), they'd show few locations including Kuala Lumpur etc. Not worth the premium and travel if you're gonna go to UK anyway.

As Paco reminded, any distance study course includes theory revision clases, so unless some school has arrangements with foreing schools for the actual classes, the graduation/completion cert requirements won't be met for you to sit the exams. Couple in USA for example. Used to be in Australia as WAAC this neck of woods 9WA).

I don't know if you can stay in Australia past your studies, your nationalities/residence status, but although not easy, in a way, more protracted rogression, but more doable than YES/NO situation with airline jobs as 'starter job' in Europe outside few exceptions I mentioned and those hardly pay rent/food/beer if at all.