PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why does Maverick Helicopters not hire female pilots?
Old 30th Mar 2014, 09:45
OvertHawk

Received 120 Likes on 55 Posts
It may "grip your ****" Jay, but the simple fact is, in most developed countries, that it is illegal - whether you like it or not.

I am no fan of the PC, pandering, quotas that you describe in your earlier post. Nor am i a fan of "positive" discrimination - discrimination of any kind is unfair.

What is needed is sensible recruiting that gives the job to the best person regardless of race, gender or other factors but that is allowed to take account of certain physical attributes associated with the job (such as not employing a very small / slight person - of any gender - to fly an AS350B3 if there is a fear that they can't handle it without the hydraulics).

Any employer who is clearly operating a policy of not employing women (or anyone else for that matter) and openly boasting about it is merely setting himself up for a legal battle, which he is unlikely to win, and strengthening the case for those who want quotas and positive discrimination.

It has been my experience that the women i have come across in this industry have, generally, been better than the average man since they have had to be more committed and determined to succeed.

And while we're at it... Topendtorque - Whilst having a dyslexic mail sorter is clearly a silly idea, the suggestion that an appropriate job for someone with a disability is "Sweeping floors or something similar" is exactly the kind of condescending, patronising, attitude that has gotten us here in the first place!