PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HEATHROW
Thread: HEATHROW
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2014, 23:11
Airlift21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe I was a little too harsh on Gatwick. I do actually think that the traffic levels and passenger throughput will increase, but not necessarily in the way that Mr Wingate predicts. In a perfect world, both Heathrow and Gatwick should have runways built and at the same. The airports should be then left to develop in their own rights.

However, I think there is still too much concentration on stealing business from Heathrow (Long Haul), without carving out a niche which is specific to Gatwick. I thought Flybe was an important part of Gatwick's business model and I really had to "double take" when I read of the entire "fees" saga, forcing the airline out. I think the board at Gatwick need to work to keep airlines, even those operating turboprops.

Heathrow has it's niche, Long haul and transfer... it's a hub. Gatwick isn't... except for Norwegian. It's point to point. And it's good at it. Keep building on that and maybe the second runway is more justified. I don't see the point of attracting a load of business which may move around the M25 in a few years. Attract the airlines who will stay and don't have one eye on Heathrow. There are plenty of airlines out there who don't want Heathrow.