PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna 100 and 200 SIDS
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2014, 17:10
Perspective

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep it civil

From the ATSB.

Some registration holders of class B aircraft, however, believed that their aircraft were exempt from the manufacturer’s supplemental inspections as long as the aircraft were maintained using the CASA maintenance schedule. This belief sprang from a misinterpretation of the Australian Civil Aviation Regulations 1988 (CAR). The CASA maintenance schedule did not make any specific reference to the incorporation of the manufacturer’s supplemental inspections, but it was a CAR requirement that all aircraft be maintained in accordance with approved maintenance data that, by definition, included those inspections.

CASA are telling you SIDS is mandatory.
ATSB are telling you SIDS is mandatory.
The Cessna SIDS document stated "Mandatory"
You have to maintain the Aircraft I.a.w. the Maintenance Manual, yes?

Do you really want to have to stand up and justify why you believe it was not required, when now more than ever, there is so much text directing you to comply.

Thought I'd have a quick look at some numbers,

Why is GA in decline? Obviously a number of reasons... But this might be a couple..

Average wage in Australia in 1980 was $13,348.
A Friend bought his aircraft in 1980 for $15,000, a 15 year old 182H.
Roughly 1 years wage's.

Average wage in Australia in 2014 is $ $57,930
A 15 year old 182 in 2014 is conservatively $169,000. (Let me know if about right!)
Roughly 3 years wage's.

Average Wages in Australia

Now let look at the rising cost of Avgas which has been rising steadily since around 2000, yes it's in USA, easiest one to find..

Aviation Gasoline Average Price, All Sectors, Iowa (EIA) - Data and Charts from Quandl

We got our 210 in the 70's, the old man was in his 30's
We have family friends who have owned aircraft since they were in their 20's,
Not sure of anyone I have met in the last few years who owns an aircraft under
The age of 40.
And i believe the average age of LAME's in Aus is 58.
Ageing industry all round..