PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Geoff Thomas "Aviation Expert" on Sunrise
Old 29th Mar 2014, 13:39
walesregent

Received 239 Likes on 82 Posts
I guess I shouldn't be too surprised in that the West Oz was, in the recent past, the press organ that managed to transform a woman's murder into front page entertainment for weeks on end. Notwithstanding that miserable effort, GT's effort today plumbed new depths.
That has happened on at least four occasions that spring to mind. It should come with a confessional directory for anyone who is ever lured into buying it for one of those headlines (and maybe one in the office for the journos and editorial staff). As for journalists as experts- expertise only comes from many years of practice in your field, and diminishes rapidly once you stop (say to start writing copious amounts of copy on the subject). I don't believe that you can simultaneously be an expert and regularly write about it (and, so as not to unfairly label GT, I don't imagine he goes about referring to himself as an aviation expert, more likely that is done by media producers with nothing but thinly veiled contempt for the intelligence of their audience).