PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysian Airlines MH370 contact lost
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2014, 12:53
G0ULI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M.Mouse
Well if money isn't an issue, let's make a start by reinstating three crew members on the flight deck. Can't see many airlines prepared to sign up to that.

Current security procedures serve only to irritate the public and promote some belief that safety has been improved. Complete nonsense of course. There are YouTube videos demonstrating how an improvised device can be made from objects bought in duty free areas of an airport after all the security checks. There have been several incidents over the past few years since 911 of inert explosive packages and ammunition found on aircraft left behind by training search teams.

I maintain that the entire industry is primarily motivated by profit and that public safety is incidental to airline operations. It is only the total loss of an airframe, passengers and crew that seem to motivate airlines to attempt any genuine improvements and that is only to mitigate increased insurance costs.

I learned to fly because I was terrified of being in an aircraft with no prospect of being able to do anything if something happened to the pilot. A completely irrational reason because the likelyhood of being able to actually rescue the situation is nil. But it helped calm my fear of flying to the extent I can now board an aircraft in the knowledge that I am not completely powerless if the worst should happen and at least I'd have a good idea of what was going on if it did.

People are irrational and it is the (remote) possibility that one irrational person was responsible for what has happened to MH370 that is most disturbing.