PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysian Airlines MH370 contact lost
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2014, 11:15
bud leon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I disagree.
They just had a plane and 239 people disappear on their watch. Despite the fact that no physical evidence has been found, the Malaysian President said the plane is destroyed and all the passengers are dead. A profoundly disturbing conclusion like this needs a better explanation than "oh some clever satellite guys in England worked it out."
They have a duty to explain this conclusion in excruciating detail, not just morally, but legally under agreements signed under the auspices of the ICAO.

Personally, I don't doubt the conclusion that the a/c is somewhere in the Indian Ocean, but I am starting to doubt the Malaysian authorities competence and commitment to transparency in this investigation.
I've been following this thread since post #1 (why I sometimes wonder) but I feel compelled finally to address the smug outrage that continually crops here.

They have no duty to do that whatsoever. They don't owe you or any other unaffected but morbidly, curiously or fearfully interested third party anything. Even if it was on their (stupefyingly cliched) "watch". I'm sure obligations to ICAO and international legal obligations are well understood and I'm sure they are getting better legal advice than you could give.

Maybe Malaysia is less competent at this than other nations. It's pretty naive to think that all countries will be equally competent at all things. But how could anyone possibly know that from a removed vantage point? Whether they have been any less transparent than they should be, by some stakeholder derived criteria, is impossible for anyone to make a call on at this stage.

It's also naive to think that international politics and limits on communication and resources are not going to play out.

In other posts, there are idle flaneurs coming to the conclusion that amongst all the countries and companies involved individuals have not worked through the panoply of scenarios and lack the requisite technical rigour. That's ignorant and arrogant.

Most of the critics might be unable to realise that in their lives they are going to encounter events which have no precedent, events for which countries are not prepared for, and for which there are no immediate answers. This is one of the many cognitive biases that are writ large in this thread.

All these posts originate from a logical fallacy underpinned by one or more cognitive biases. The logical fallacy is that not being able to locate the aircraft proves incompetence. There are too many cognitive biases to list.