PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Voyager To Falklands
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2014, 09:12
BEagle

Received 271 Likes on 110 Posts
I love it when a plan comes together....

216 were always prepared to go that extra mile to help out when they could...

We had to bring some soldiers back from Botswana (they had to get back asap for some reason) and it was known that ASI would be very busy (in their terms) with a VC10, a C-130J, a northbound Tommy and a southbound Timmy all due at the same time. ASI had told Arsecoat Ops that they would be pushed for accommodation, so I asked to flag ASI and overnight at Dakar. But this wasn't allowed....

Then ASI Movs decided that we would have to wait until they'd dealt with the 2 TriStars (the C-130J was no problem as it wasn't due out until much later). After much huffing and puffing, they agreed that we could go first and be out of the way before the TriStars arrived - but only if I signed something agreeing to waive the normal checks and for the pax to be bussed straight to the jet. So I checked with the senior bod in charge of the pax - who assured me that he'd make darn sure that his little angels behaved themselves as they would be only too glad to be brought straight to the aircraft.

All went as planned until the DAMO announced that she was taking one of our AT Sy Pol lads off, because she had a 'high priority' pax. Regrettably we didn't have a single spare seat, so off he came. I asked her to make sure that he was on the next available aircraft - but she just turned round and walked off saying "He can go on the Herk"....

As we launched northwards, I hear the inbound TriStar and asked him to come up on a discrete frequency. "Are you going to be seeing your Tommy colleagues? If so, could you ask them if they could take my copper on board their jet, to spare him hours in the bowels of an Albert?" "Sure thing - we'll sort that for you".

And they did. Soon after we'd QTR'd at Dakar and were on our merry way north, we heard the Tommy giving his position. Another discrete call and they told us that the AT Sy Pol lad was on board and enjoying the luxury of their wide-body jet rather than being squeezed into our 'Skoda'....the usual banter. We raced back, but the Tommy was thundering along flat out and got back to the UK first. I joined on left base as he was clearing the active, but they were first to the terminal. Apparently the AT Sy Pol copper greeted his colleagues with the words "Oh there you are - what kept you?".

So thanks, 216, for helping out - I love it when a plan comes together!