PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aviation Investigation Report Out Boeing 737-210C Controlled flight into terrain
Old 29th Mar 2014, 02:25
MountainBear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hindsight bias

There is a lot of hindsight bias going on in this thread. It's easy to talk about what the FO could have done or might have done and the assume that everything works perfectly from there on out--maybe it does and maybe it doesn't. Maybe the aircraft gets into a situation where the FO is doing one thing and the Captain is doing another and it winds up in the dirt anyway.

What caught my eye is this:
1641:16.3 Captain makes statement indicating similar situation happened to another pilot previously
So thirty seconds before the crash the Captain is in a mental place where he has got it all figured out. He's seen this before. And he is following this cognitive map in his head despite the fact that the FO officer is telling him the map is wrong.

So let me play the troublemaker a little bit.

1639:13 to1639:30 FO makes 5 statements regarding aircraft lateral displacement from desired track.
I wonder how much the FO nagging added to the Captain's task saturation. Perhaps at some point in time the Captain simply started to tune him out. The Captain is may be thinking, "I've got it all figured out. Why the hell is he bugging me?" Maybe if the FO had just shut up the pressure would have been off and the Captian would have figured it out on his own.

There is more than one way to engage in hindsight.

Last edited by MountainBear; 29th Mar 2014 at 02:28. Reason: formatting