PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FTE Jerez Instructor Recruitment
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2014, 19:18
WASALOADIE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I left there earlier this year and yes they were struggling to cover all the subjects. Relying on contract instructors. I had my concerns at the end of last year as to where things were going, with many experienced instructors leaving. The hierarchy were holding meetings to try and find out why, but doing very little to solve the problem. It certainly wasn't a very happy place to be.

Jerez is a beautiful area of Spain and great place to settle down. Spain can be cheap in certain areas but expensive in others. The Taxation is the biggest concern among the employees there which is why many prefer to work as contract instructors and pay tax in their own country.

Added to additional expenses such as either having your car registered in Spain or buying a car there (second hand cars are more expensive than the UK). Finding rental places to live after the first 4 weeks. Note: In that part of Spain, you have to pay agents fees of up to 1 months rent to the letting agents, along with 1 month rent deposit and 1 month in advance. Housing standards are not quite what you expect in the UK. No insulation so cold in the winter. Internet speeds are not what you get in the UK. Furnishings are fairly sparse and rooms are quite a bit smaller.

If the rumours of reduced pay scales is true, then I think it will be the thin edge of the wedge for those living there, who are already unhappy about the loss of salary sacrifice benefits on rents and car leasing which erodes their income by increasing the tax element.

The relocation allowance is not huge, just about enough to move a van full of personal effects from the UK to Jerez and there are limitations as to what you can justifiably use it for. Plus it is repayable if you leave within 2 years, it will only be paid after the probation period.