PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BAe146 - Why not a twin?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2003, 10:49
RRAAMJET

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bral:

Have done a few 3-engine ferries in the -100....none in the -200/300.

One was a similar situation to rwm, the engine chip detector looked like a shaving brush...We took off on 4 (unfortunately, full pwr was required as it was a poor-quality gravelly short strip), immediately shut the sickie down when safely airborne, and flew across the Andes on a good-wx day to SCL for an engine change with the assistance of LAN-Chile. All perfectly safe; the -100 had bags of extra poke. 2-eng stab height was OK to get us through the mountains if necessary, or onto escape routes. And that was Royal...no other choices to keep the mission going...no other way of getting a spare engine to us.

As to flapless: yes, done those, too, and eng-out for practice but only on low-overshoots or rollers, never on T/O. The 146 wing is actually a higher min-speed airfoil clean at average weights than some other much bigger jets I've flown. The first flap position (18? my memory fails me) is a lot of mechanical whirring and whining out-there....those who've flown it will attest to the massive trim change on flap extention/retraction. I seem to remember some pretty high approach speeds flapless, whereas many other jets may still have slats available in a FLAPLESS situation.

And as to Yellow-system failure requiring a chicane-wrist-flick to deploy the roll-spoilers symmetrically...it's British and it works...

Churchill....been there...one must have an intense dislike for polar-bears to be desperate enough to depart no-flap/eng-out...yikes! Hope it wasn't a -300...maybe you mean Ch. Falls?