PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tri Star bowing out.
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2014, 17:28
Roger D'Erassoff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Curator

As someone involved in the 216 Sqn disbandment activities, I will take issue with you. A number of events were planned with the aim of catering to as many relevant groups as possible. There was a parade on 20 Mar which was open to selected invited guests, Sqn members and families of Sqn members. With 100 on parade, capacity remaining at the parade venue from the other 380 personnel, their families and the invited guests precluded an open invite.

There was a dining in night that same night attended by 130 personnel (max Mess capacity) to say thank you to representatives from units that have supported the Tristar over the years - think industry (Marshalls, Rolls Royce, Cobham, NG and Thales), project team, affiliated livery companies, previous OCs and station heads-of-sheds as well as 75 Sqn personnel. Industry generously paid for this.

There was a Hangar Bash last night open to all previous and serving members attended by some 700 folk and there is still a Gala Dinner in Apr for up to 180 current, previous and Association members. The details for those open events are all on the 216 Sqn website.

Furthermore, with regards to press, there was a specific press day which allowed 50 members of the press to go on one Tristar to watch another Tristar with 50 aviation enthusiasts on board conduct the last operational AAR sortie. There was, as Beagle points out, much local coverage - what the nationals chose to pick up on is their business. There are plenty of aviation magazine articles yet to come as a result of that press day.

With the Sqn as busy as ever until the last moment, particularly after the Voyager pause, what it did not have the capacity to do was try and contact the circa 5000 people that have served on 216 Sqn over the last 30 years, however worthy, to see if they wanted to come. Those that have a genuine interest in the Sqn join the Association and would have known about those open events or kept themselves informed via the 216 Facebook page. If you want details of the Gala dinner then either take an active interest or even PM me for details.

I'm sorry that you were stood up by your OC - I am sure that it wasn't the current one.

As for you Glum, the 'embarrassing moment' of people continuing to talk during the OC's speech began long before the bit about behaviour. Your comment about not drinking or the Staish wouldn't pleased are a lie. The point was made to make sure your mates weren't left in a ditch, not to do drugs and not to drink-drive - all current and recent issues at Brize. Basically, not to ruin the 30 year reputation of the Sqn on the final night by being an ar$ehole. If any of those things are your idea of a good night out then point made. If you couldn't hear correctly, then maybe you were one of the 'rude audience' TCF referred to?

Roger D