PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thrust on during flare...Q for AIRBUS test pilots...
Old 28th Mar 2014, 12:07
737Jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Surely the last paragraph advising the a higher ROD than 700 fpm will result in going below GS and a 1 deg pitch correction causes 100 fpm change IS ALL YOU NEED TO SEE HOW THEY WANT YOU TO CORRECT IT....

I mean do they have to hand feed you too????
No but clearly they have to hand feed it to you.

What I'm saying is that you manage the aircraft energy with the thrust. And that is applicable in all phases of flight. You don't have to invent a new rule of thumb for every different phase of flight.
If the energy state (the forces that act on the aircraft) is not in equilibrium you will see either speed or vertical speed changes. Which in effect are pitch changes.

but when your buddy Bloggs starts to contest that a flightpath is the resultant of vertical and horizontal movement then something is seriously wrong with basic understanding of physics. and in that case those type of people meed to be handfed information!

The difference is that when I feel an updraft, seat of the pants and all. I immediately reduce thrust in order to balance the energy and at the same time I adjust the pitch required.
You lower the nose and then wait for the speed change that WILL follow, only then you reduce the thrust thinking that you are controlling the speed, whereas you are simply reducing the energy the aircraft has in order to reach your desired stable flightpath. Its the same thing.

See speed doesn't change on its own, it changes due to an energy change, this change is absorbed into vertical speed or speed depending on the pitch.