PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bye Bye XP?
Thread: Bye Bye XP?
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2014, 09:03
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And what sort of muppets do a production rollout without testing it first ?
Every roll out I did had something similar come up and some of those rollouts were designed and built by the likes of ICL in there day. Who I presume knew what they were doing.

Floor walking was a nightmare there was applications coming out of the woodwork that had never been heard of before never mind made into deployment packages.

And the day that they took the SNA gateway down to the mainframe was just bizarre. The amount of crap that was routed through that thing which nobody seemed to have a clue that it was going through there was unbelievable. Client IT was pooing themselves because some major stuff was off line and was wanting it put back. The drop down that night was pretty much irreversible because it had taken 2 weeks to write the scripts we had run the previous night to reconfigure everything. Plus the cisco guru had buggered off after working 24hours and wasn't answering his phone.

And yes we had spent 3 weeks testing with what we thought was the deployed spec.

I was Unix, Micro****e and amateur level routers/networks , we had a sprinkling of netware skills as well. The phrase of the day was "how bizarre"

Linked to my personal one of "which idiot moved the switch night to Tuesday instead of Thursday like I had planned for?" this was due to everyone being on flexi time and usually disappeared at Friday lunch. So my thinking was mayhem for 6 hours then get a snag list which we could sort Friday afternoon, sat and sunday. But o no that was over ruled for some reason which I never found out why.

Anyway the life of the contractor. If you don't want to listen that's up to you I get paid whatever happens and I don't have to live with the consequences.