PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thrust on during flare...Q for AIRBUS test pilots...
Old 28th Mar 2014, 08:57
737Jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back to the BUSS.

Below FL250 on descent you switch off all ADR's
Idle descent pitch will be around zero to stay in the green.
All Config changes are recommended to be done in level flight wings level.
We all know or should know approx pitch attitudes to hold level while configuring,,,,,,yes around 5 up give or take.

Setup 5 up and stay in the Green as you configure. Try to hold a fairly constant Pitch and take flaps as the green moves up the screen to keep it in the middle.....

Config 3 attained, hold pitch and add thrust hold it in the green until GS intercept ( hopefully you achieved Flap 3 as you intercepted the GS so you don't need to fly level too far ) then reduce Thrust to around 49% to stay on the GS.

Down the slope, keep Pitch stable and adjust Thrust to stay in the Green

Land, kiss ground and complete tons of paperwork.

Simple

Works well that way, if you try to vary the pitch up and down AND change the thrust it gets complicated way fast!!

Still, you need to know approx Pitch attitudes to set to kick things off.

With regards to your comments regarding Non BUSS Aircraft, I believe you misunderstand the intent
thanks for the lecture? don't know where this came from, but I can assure you I don't misunderstand the intent.

Let me quote from the QRH:

If the aircraft pitch tends to increase, aircraft is slow, then increase thrust;
If the aircraft pitch tends to decrease, aircraft is fast, then decrease thrust.
So according to you in BUSS we maintain the pitch constant and stay in the green with thrust.
Whereas on aircraft without BUSS, we judge the change in pitch to determine if we are slow or fast.

You see the bar that replaces the speedscale is in fact not a speedbar. Its an AOA bar.
FCTM:
The BUSS is displayed on both PFDs. It is based on Angle Of Attack (AOA) information, and enables to easily and safely fly the aircraft without any valid airspeed indication. The BUSS enables to fly the aircraft in the entire flight domain while observing the design limits.
You said earlier that you keep the path with pitch, so in BUSS you clearly fly differently as you keep the pitch fixed. And you even explain that varying the pitch would make it too messy.

Now I ask you again, if we use your method to fly in BUSS by maintaining a fixed pitch and staying in the green (AOA) with thrust, what are you changing? Speed, vertical speed or both?

-----

You constantly keep talking about changing configuration, slowing down on the glideslope etc. You realise that you are reducing the energy of the aircraft right?
I hope you also realise that slowing down does not fall under the definition of a stable flight.

For a flight to be stable it means that all forces are balanced. You slow down because the combined force vectors acting rearward, are bigger then the combined force vectors acting forward. Only when they are equal your speed will remain the same.
Just because you are going down 3 degrees does not make the flight stable.