PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thrust on during flare...Q for AIRBUS test pilots...
Old 28th Mar 2014, 00:10
737Jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First of all nitpicker I never said that speed for thrust is an incorrect statement. But the simple fact is that thrust for vertical speed neither is incorrect.

You can point as long as you want at the FCTM for thrust is speed definitions, and I can show you as many Principles of flight manuals that state that thrust controls vertical speed.
Both statements are correct, they are just simple descriptions of a more complex interaction.

You can continue your pissing competition with Noodle about which manual you would rather believe. As far as i'm concerned you are both wrong as much as you are both right.

Keep making up examples that fit your own argument. I can also counter that by saying you would not lower the nose close to the ground to recover the path if you get an updraft above the runway, nor would you raise the nose dramatically to stop a sink close to the ground. You either reduce or increase thrust, or change the rate at which you are changing the thrust (slower/faster). So at different stages we use different methods, doesn't mean that other methods don't work or that they are incorrect. or that an explanation from a different viewpoint is wrong.

Thrust is simply energy balancing. Thrust adds or decreases the energy of the aircraft. The pitch control determines if this energy change is converted into a speed change or a vertical speed change or both. Thrust and pitch continuously interact.
External factors can also add or decrease the energy of the aircraft, if we don't balance this external energy change by an equal opposite change in thrust energy. Then the pitch will either cause a speed change or a vertical speed change.

second of all I already said that airbus is not speedstable so you will always need to change pitch after thrust changes, or change thrust after pitch changes. Remember what speed stability is?
An airbus maintains its path, not its speed. Try some direct law flying!

Last edited by 737Jock; 28th Mar 2014 at 00:31.