PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysian Airlines MH370 contact lost
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2014, 00:06
James7

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Emergency Procedures

Emergency Procedures.

Just checking our Emergency Descent Checklist A340. No where does it state to activate the ELT.
The ELT switch it just above the Capts Head, maybe different on other aircraft and type. There is no switch in the cabin.

The switch can be reset due to accidental use, happened to me in JFK a few months back. You have to hold the switch to reset for a couple of seconds.

If I was over some remote place then this should be one of the first things to activate. I am sure if AF had done so then the aircraft would have been found much sooner.

There should also be a switch in the cabin for the cabin crew to activate. There should be a procedure in place that anytime the O2 masks are deployed then the switch should be turned on.

Also there should be some logics in the system so that whichever switch activates the system then only that switch can reset it.

If this had happened on MH370 then it should have been located within a few minutes and then tracked.

I do not suppose it works under water so maybe a more robust ELT should be fitted to all aircraft.