PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Naples Air Center, Florida - who has actually been there?
Old 27th Mar 2014, 23:27
Cusco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People who come to NAC for short periods generally have positive experiences.
My opinion is probably invalid as I was there over 12 years ago:

I went specifically to knock off the FAA/IR and managed it in two weeks (11 flying days including flight test).

So I was there for a short time and must agree with the previous poster's assessment, but I can say nothing about long drawn out PPL courses.

However, for the short time I was there I had no problems with the school: my (hour building) instructor who was a Geology graduate and flipped burgers at night was empathetic to my slow take up (I was pretty old then), and gave up one of his days off when my return home was approaching fast.

I didn't feel I was being used as a cash cow, but did get reminded pretty smartly when my account (topped up every few days in advance) was dropping towards zero.

The a/c were in reasonable nick, were refuelled immediately on request (red 'flag' on prop) and well maintained. Dispatch was swift and effective.

They even arranged at zero notice a FAA Class 3 medical on a Saturday morning, the day before my booked flight home , when my examiner who was waiting to take my flight test refused (wrongly) to fly with me on a CAA medical (my FAA certificate was a 61.75 piggy back so CAA medical was valid).

With a stroppy flight examiner pacing up and down I wasn't about to argue the toss....

I passed anyway.

But then, like I said that was 12 years ago, the year after 9-11: indeed one of the confiscated Hoffman PA 28s was still parked on the NAC apron.....

Cusco