PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATO responsible for Warrior accident - what is your verdict?
Old 27th Mar 2014, 22:30
djpil

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I agree Jaba and XXX. The last time some-one did that to me (although at a suitable height when I took my hand off the throttle to move another switch) I simply pushed the throttle forward again - he had omitted to announce the simulated engine failure.

I never teach Vx climbs in my airplane as it is only 7% above the stall speed. Short field take-off speed at 50 ft is the same "The aircraft must be pitched forward to a safe power off speed should a power failure occur during climb-out; failure to respond immediately may result in stall at low altitude."
CASA's draft Part 61 MOS mandates doing that in tailwheel endorsements from September.
It also mandates:
 Short landing.
 Calculates landing performance in accordance with performance chart.
 Lands aeroplane at nominated touchdown point (+200ft/60 metres for PPL,
+100ft/30 metres for CPL) at minimum speed and applies maximum braking.
 Touches down simultaneously on main wheels and tail wheel.
 Controls aeroplane direction on the ground.
 Stops aeroplane within calculated landing distance.
So, per my airplane's manual - approach at 10% above the stall speed. PPL tolerance allows touchdown up to 60 metres past nominated touchdown point (per the book) then apply maximum braking. And "stops aeroplane within calculated landing distance." Touching down 60 metres past the nominated touchdown point will not achieve book distances. I can see many bent tailwheel airplanes after September unless the MOS is improved.