PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - X/winds and tail wheel airplanes.
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2014, 22:06
djpil

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I was given these notes when I first flew a Decathlon in the late '70s.
Wheel landings are NOT recommended for the Decathlon due to the increased risk of striking the propeller on the ground.
I am sure that we both agree, Chuck, on the silliness of that reason - I guess that some-one bent a Decathlon in the early days by bouncing and bouncing and bouncing .... and the boss said don't do wheelers so it has remained as tribal knowledge ever since.

Up to the early '70s in Aus we had endorsements on individual types and I had previously flown Austers but was not taught wheelers on them either.
I got my CPL/instructor rating late in life (a corrupt life mainly flying things like the Pitts) then bought a Decathlon. CASA got rid of the old silly simple Aus-specific flight manuals and people then started to look at the FAA approved flight manual.
Still quite a few schools here using Decathlons and their instructors don't even know how to do wheelers.

As I said, if/when it is mandated that I teach wheelers for a tailwheel endorsement in a Decathlon I will comply but I will tell the punters beforehand that it is the most expensive way to achieve their objective.