PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where does the UK/JAR "twin only" mentality come from?
Old 27th Mar 2014, 21:18
nigelh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Having flown off and on since 1980 flying mainly singles until recently , now flying A109 , I don't think I have ever felt less safe in a turbine single than a twin . In the old days I was always expecting the donk to stop on my 47 G3B1 and the Hiller , but when I got onto turbines I have always looked at other things to catch me out !! Like most people I guess , I would prefer to fly long distance over water or extended time over cities , in a twin . That's just common sense to me . But for all other say " gentle" flying I think a single is every bit as safe . Just as somebody said earlier , I also agree that singles have now come of age , and should be ifr capable just like fixed wing . There is no real justification for encouraging all the single pilots to scud run when they could , if the suitable aircraft were out there , go up and be at a safe altitude ifr .
Maybe fixed wing pilots are inherently more clever than us .... They have managed an IMC system that has virtually eliminated all cfit accidents whilst we make zero progress and continue to send ill trained pilots out knowing that they will get perilously close , if not actually in , IIMC ..... With maybe an hour or two under a hood !!!