PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysian Airlines MH370 contact lost
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2014, 19:17
RichManJoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Interesting Sat Orbit Analysis

Yes, there is a difference between geosynchronous and geostationary satellites. As stated, geostationary satellites are not "stationary" with respect to their designated longitude over the equator, they wander around a bit. There are defined international standards which define how far a satellite can wander - for example, this is needed so as to maintain proper separation between satellite TV services on the same frequencies. Even though satellites on the same frequency in adjacent orbital slots have orthogonal polarizations to reduce interference, a strong enough signal from a wandering satellite would cause cross-polarization interference. So, typically, a geostationary satellite is one which stays within its prescribed box. Depending upon the mission, other satellites are geosynchronous - are intentionally flown in an elliptic orbit, but cross the equator at the same longitude at the same time every day.

The people who work the orbital mechanics for these satellites are no slouches - in fact, they are some of the best mathematicians and near earth physicists I know. I have heard stories of them flying a geosynchronous satellite for years after its gas supply ran out by surfing the solar wind and taking into account the earth and moon gravitational effects. True, they didn't have to keep it in a box, but they did maintain mission. They are truly amazing people, and very dedicated. So I believe Duncan Steel can sleep soundly knowing they have taken into account all of the issues he has raised about the satellite's orbit and the earth being an oblate spheroid.

Last edited by RichManJoe; 27th Mar 2014 at 19:47. Reason: correcttion