PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Have you given up?
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2014, 14:12
Northern Highflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having just read this thread from the beginning I can relate / empathise with a lot of what has been said. Having qualified in 2005 I had what can only be put down to bad luck (got an interview with BACX who were then taken over by Flybe and all interviews were binned), recession, several other close calls, but all coming to nothing. I went into it well researched and eyes wide open. Yes it would be nice to have that money back, but I knew the risks and the training was one of the best times of my life. I don't regret doing any of it.

Instructing didn't appeal to me at that time and I received comments about "not wanting it bad enough", etc, but we are all different. Besides, I know many instructors with many hours under their belt who are getting nowhere either. I still haven't lost my love for aviation and despite everything, I would still jump at the chance to fly for a living, but realistically it's not going to happen now. CTC seem to have the market all sewn up these days, and I'm no longer a 20 something.

My current job isn't a bed of roses and with possible redundancy looming, I would still take up a flying career if the opportunity presented itself. I will keep probing and searching for that one lucky break. Maybe someone somewhere is searching for a pilot with maturity and life experience who they can relate to. Good luck to all, whatever you decide.