PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thrust on during flare...Q for AIRBUS test pilots...
Old 27th Mar 2014, 13:00
nitpicker330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I gotta get a hobby outside Aviation.

However another question for them:--

What do you do when hand flying an approach using the F/D and A/THR??

I'll tell ya----

The FD pitch bar commands you to push forward or pull back to regain or maintain the GS doesn't it? ( yes it's in GS Mode ) Meanwhile the A/THR is nicely controlling the IAS ( yes it's in Speed mode.)

Hint for you-----in this case Pitch is controlling ROD and THRUST controlling the IAS..

Amazing technique isn't it.....

Now with regards to Flare----

I've been reading my copy of the Airbus instructor support notes for the A330

Here's the bit about how to FLARE the Aircraft correctly and funnily enough it DOESN'T mention adding thrust to get a secondary effect!!

Flare itself

- When reaching 100 ft RA, the pitch law is modified to be a full authority direct law with THS stopped: indeed, the normal pitch law which provides trajectory stability is not the best adapted for the flare maneuver. Additionally, pitch rate and g load feedbacks soften the A/C response to abrupt stick inputs; at 50 ft a static stability augmentation term is introduced, function of ground speed. Consequently as the speed reduces, the pilot will have to move the stick rearwards to maintain a constant path. The Flare technique is thus very conventional. Feedbacks and static stability augmentation are removed on ground. The roll is a roll rate law till the A/C is on ground. - Start the Flare at around 30 ft; it is a progressive aft action on the stick. A continuous aft pressure has to be applied as usual.

- At 20 ft a call out « RETARD » reminds the pilot to retard thrust lever. It is a reminder, not an order. Indeed with ATHR ON, SPEED mode is effective except if autoland (AP ON with LAND/FLARE). Therefore if you are late to retard the thrust levers in a MANUAL landing, the ATHR will add thrust during the Flare to keep the A/C on target speed. - In order to assess the Flare and the A/C position versus the ground, look out well ahead of the A/C.

Last edited by nitpicker330; 27th Mar 2014 at 13:10.