PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bye Bye XP?
Thread: Bye Bye XP?
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2014, 12:40
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rh200 don't start about it, its been a bloody nightmare.

I managed to get 4 applications working using usb RS232 port but the others will just not play at all there is a funny interface driver thingy. You can telnet into the device to configure it but as soon as you start mucking around with data downloads it just doesn't work.

if your needing a easy one the old aspire 1's have a proper port

The OEM say send us a PO and we will give you the software that does work we don't support that anymore. Oh and now the licensing is per engine not a company policy single license. OK so that's 46 licenses we will need and that's the cost of a brand new engine. Or I can buy on ebay 3 laptops of exactly the same model. And fire a clone of the original laptop onto them once I give them a new HD. Then one lives at the hangar, one in the fire safe, one at the CAMO's house and one in the bosses basement. Total cost 400 euros versus 250k.

Anyway I recon 4 out of 8 was pretty good. Certainly more that the IT department managed.

AT some point, business just has to fork out the money to upgrade software.
Not unless it breaks, and even if someone already has upgraded it and it costs 5k to upgrade and the old system still works it won't be upgraded.

Thanks Andy for that explanation I was wondering what the hell was going on. First time I came across it was 2 million worth of ATR sitting out the front and everyone ****ting themselves because they couldn't get a Pentium pro win95 machine to boot.

Last edited by mad_jock; 27th Mar 2014 at 12:57.