PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thrust on during flare...Q for AIRBUS test pilots...
Old 27th Mar 2014, 08:19
737Jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you did this is a C150, yes, you would see a increase in speed and yes, you probably would have to throttle back a bit and yes, you could descend back to the GS by pulling off the power. But we're not in a C150. The 737 by virtue of it's pitch/power coupling may also let you get away with using the throttles to fly the GS, but that's trick-flying and I contend that it's not the speed-stability effect, it's only because of the underslung engines.
Well then you just disqualified yourself for lack of aerodynamic understanding. It's the basic principle of trimming the aircraft for speed. It's how aircraft have managed to land without any elevator control.
Why do you think the stabilizer can be trimmed?

Never heard such a bunch of crap in my life from someone who is supposed to be a line trainer. Then again I recognize the type.

In a 737 or any other speedstable aircraft you can reduce thrust and the nose lowers simultaneously if it's too slow for you can push on the yoke and help it. This will increase your rate of descent while maintaining airspeed. As you approach the glideslope you simply add thrust which also raises the nose to reduce the rate of descent. You should not need to retrim the aircraft as it is still trimmed the same way as when you started the excercise.

In a airbus (manual thrust) (an airbus in normal law is not speedstable although the airframe design is) you will reduce thrust and simultaneously push on the sidestick as you know you would lose speed otherwise. (Hey maybe that's the same as saying: I push on the stick and the airspeed increase so I need to reduce thrust)

Pitch and thrust /thrust and pitch go hand in hand. The starting point doesn't even matter in fact a reasonably experienced pilot who doesn't consistently use the a/p and a/t does it simultaneously.
But apparently someone decided that stupid pilots need a more simple method as they don't understand the link between pitch and power?
So someone came up with thrust is speed. Which basicly means you are always reacting after the fact with thrust due to a speed change that happened because of a pitch change. Instead of being proactive and anticipating the effects of your inputs.

One of the reasons to reduce thrust in the flare is because you enter the groundeffect. Another is that runway lenght is limited and you want to slow down as soon as you can.

I find it very interesting though that someone keeps power on to compensate for updrafts that by definition increase the energy of the aircraft. And that someone else then says that this is the way to do it??? I reduce thrust when I encounter updrafts (and I add or maintain when I sink).
But maybe as the aircraft starts to balloon due to the updraft you then just point the nose at the runway for a nice nosewheel landing in order to manage your path? Or you just float and call it a smooth landing?

No wonder statistics show more long landings in summer if this is how you manage energy.

Last edited by 737Jock; 27th Mar 2014 at 09:01.