PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Dynamics: Gyroscopic Precession
Old 26th Mar 2014, 17:15
[email protected]

Received 652 Likes on 287 Posts
Oh dear AnFI - you are really clutching at straws now - your only argument in this debate is that 10% of a bigger chord is larger than 10% of a smaller chord!!!! really ground breaking and earth stopping stuff, you should write a book about it!

As to the rest, I concede the grammar of your handle but the rest of the items are figments of your imagination:

Cliff recirculation - have you ever hovered next to a cliff? I get to do it a lot and there is no discernible tendency for the aircraft to move towards the cliff, regardless of what theory might predict.

Vortex ring - it is theoretically possible to recover from it just using power but you need a lot of it to overcome the massive rotor drag. Otherwise, the standard recovery of getting speed on works fine.

Disymmettry of lift resolved by flapping - you argued your self blue in the face about this one but never made your point clear - inequality of lift results in flapping to equality, what more is there to say?

Private pilots should monitor instruments to avoid IIMC - now you really are making stuff up, I clearly advocated that pilots should make weather decisions early and turn back or land to avoid IIMC - once in it then instrument scan is your only chance of salvation.

Maybe you should just get out more and talk to a few more pilots who have actually done jobs with helicopters and have some real world experience.