PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A question on B737 manual reversion forces
Old 26th Mar 2014, 16:56
Lord Spandex Masher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tee Emm
Very few Boeing 737 pilots would have flown manual reversion in the real aircraft so they would have no experience except in a simulator and that is not often anyway. It then becomes a subjective assessment. It should not require a pilot's full strength to apply the ailerons on a manual reversion. I am interested if other pilots have found marked variation in other 737 simulators in aileron stick forces need to successfully complete a manual reversion approach. For example should you be able to apply full control wheel aileron in manual reversion if required or is that impossible due to design limitations without hydraulic assist?
I've flown in manual reversion about twenty times in the last couple of years. Without fail it has been impossible to apply more than about twenty degrees of hand wheel using one arm (maximum effort with both hands got us to about forty degrees). As far as I know there's no requirement to be able to to apply full aileron, as long as the force required to move the wheel is broadly symmetrical that's a pass.

Sounds like your sim is more accurate than the others. I've always found the sim easier than the real thing in MR.