PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where does the UK/JAR "twin only" mentality come from?
Old 26th Mar 2014, 15:38
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually I tell a lie: 3 engine failures in twins:
1 in a SeaKing in a 40' hover over the sea. Glancing blow off the swell but managed to get home. If that had been a single - HM would have had to foot the bill for millions and millions, plus salvage costs as she had 4 x torpedoes on board!
1 x Compressor blade went walkabout in a 355 Twin Squirrel. I was hovering over Wrexham town centre at the time tracking baddies! Uneventful shut down and landing at the nearest LZ (Cricket green). A single may have required me to bring a spare pair of underpants.
1 x Compressor stall over a city football pitch at night filming crowd control. Again in an AS355. Uneventful shutdown and landing at the hospital LZ. Again - a single would have made front page national news.

NO-ONE.....especially the yanks with their track record...is going to convince me that I could have re-run the whole of my flying career in a single engined helo and ended up here - still compus mentis. Twins have at worst - saved my life and at best saved severe embarassment.