PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - THY lands on taxiway
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2014, 14:26
Chronus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it customary in the most briefest of press announcements, following an incident, to disclose the nationality of the commander.
Could it not possibly be interpreted as "not one of ours". What does the pilot`s nationality got to do with where he lands an aircraft. Unless of course all runways back home were narrow or it was permitted to use any empty stretch of a motorway, which would immediately explain the whole thing and all concerned would be relieved in the knowledge it was nothing extraordinary, that any pilot well experienced in landings on narrow strips of asphalt would save his passangers and the airline time and fuel.

There have been many similar incidents, but I do not recal the nationality of the air crew being announced at the very start by the airline or the press. Just as the wisdom of the Malaysian Airlines statements have been brought to question, so can this one.

I think the mention of nationality is not just unwise but rather unsavoury also. I just wonder whether it was the airline who released/leaked this information to the press or some other person.